Thanks, all for the responses. I’m going to be in meetings and coaching soccer until the CCA meeting tonight, so I’ll try to update this again just prior to the meeting
The “other” responses are below. Winner of “other” – Train station.
(updated 13 September around 3:30pm)
Honestly, I’m shocked that so many want a police substation on one of the major entrance corridors to Crozet.
Update: Mostly great comments and debate at the RealCrozetVA facebook entries.
- A link to a scientific study of the merits of a police station in a community
- I think that the old Crozet library is a building with a prominent and central location in Crozet and a long and much-loved history and that it should be used in a way that allows members of the public to continue to enjoy it, such as a community center or a local (or natural) history museum. I think it would be a shame to turn such a beautiful and historic building into a police station (which could be housed in any building) and that it would be a waste of money to renovate it for that purpose, when it could be used as is for a more community-minded function.
Some of the better “other” responses:
- Store, restaurant, cafe, or tourist spot, something that generates pedestrian and commercial traffic. Police station is waste of good real estate.
- Shooting range
- Train stop/depot (this idea garnered 20 responses)
- Local history museum / community center
- A Diner that serves awesome breakfast and lunch!!!
- Seems large enough to accommodate a history/tourism center and a restaurant
- historical museum / small store ( i think there could be room for both
- Open to commercial bids
- Art coop similar to McGuffey
- Smoothie and sandwich deli
- Anything but a police station
- Not a police station. Their station is in their cars.
- Not police – something thatt enhances the economic revitalization of downtown crozet – I support the police but this is not the appropriate location
- NO to police…do we want to scare all the tourist away? Why do we need a place for police to hang out and what message is that sending about our community? A speciality shop, community center of sorts..parking a bit of issue so put some creative minds together after you kill the police station idea.
- A teen community center – they need places to go at night that are chaperoned!
- police and satellite office for other county services such as Social Services, Health Dept. county Clerk and so on.
- police said they need it a substation more on 29 N – then put it there first don’t do a grab for the space just because its there
If you want to see all of the raw results, please request to share the document.
Update 17 September 2013 – for those not on the Facebook, these are most of the comments from those discussions.